The “Solar Water Heating Market Transformation and Strengthening Initiative” project, in cooperation with the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) aims at accelerating global commercialization and sustainable market transformation of solar water heating systems, thereby reducing the current use of electricity and fossil fuels for hot water preparation in residential, private service sector and public buildings and, when applicable, industrial applications.
The activities within the first phase of the project include:
– Market Assessment Report (D1.1): mapping of the current situation regarding the penetration rate of solar thermal technology, and collecting relevant information with respect to the following aspects: i) the country needs, ii) the existing gaps, and iii) priorities for actions;
– Technical Study Report (D2.1): Review of state of the art of solar heat for industrial processes (SHIP) technology in the region. The study will cover the most innovative installations of the Mediterranean/ North Africa countries and will highlight the key lessons learnt in the development of the Solar Water Heating sector. The geographical focus will cover the South and East of the Mediterranean region.
The activities within the second phase of the project include:
– Market Assessment Report II: update of the previous Market Assessment Report. This report includes a new country-by-country analysis looking at the solar industry structure, information on certification and testing systems, etc.
– Solar Thermal Action Plan for investment promotion in the Mediterranean: The action plan – covers the South and South East Mediterranean Countries – gives an overview of the status of solar heating and cooling (SHC) technology and its applications, potential benefits, critical factors for a wide market penetration, and recommendations to policy makers to take concrete steps to put in place and or realize national plans for investments in SWH systems.
The activities within the third phase of the project include:
– Market Assessment Report III: update of the Market Assessment Report II. This report will include a new countries (Balkan countries) looking at the solar industry structure, information on certification and testing systems, etc.
– Regional Workshop and B2B Meetings: organisation of a regional workshop and B2B meetings in Tirana, Albania, held on 20-21 march 2013
Duration: 33 months (March 2011 – November 2013)