OME Mediterranean Energy Scenarios 2nd Experts Meeting: Building a shared energy vision
The OME Mediterranean Energy Scenarios 2nd Experts Meeting: Building a shared energy vision was held on Thursday 24 September 2020 via zoom. It included two sessions. The morning session focused on presenting the EU Carbon neutral scenario as it is envisaged, overall and at country level for the largest North Mediterranean countries (France, Italy, Spain) and the expected corresponding electricity infrastructure developments. The afternoon session discussed the specific areas and possible deployments in South Mediterranean countries.
To help establish a general roadmap and country by country specifications , potential and technical scope were discussed. To summarize the ProMed Scenario “Near Zero Carbon” Framework:
- The ProMed scenario will run to 2050 with more accurate 2030 projection and a vision beyond 2030 to 2050,
- A zero carbon target to 2050 was deemed unrealistic and undesirable for south countries where a “near-zero carbon” fair scenario is preferred – a delay of 10 years is considered; But even if this scenario is inspired by the EU Green Deal, energy security must remain the priority,
- The ProMed scenario will consider enhanced renewable deployment in the South compared to the National Climate and Energy plans (NCEP),
- Energy efficiency is also considered a cornerstone and should be boosted in all sectors and especially in buildings,
- Mobility is essential to displace oil consumption: especially electric vehicles (drastic increase in electric vehicle numbers to be integrated) and also modal shift,
- Prospects of hydrogen and ammonia to be included, especially after 2035 on larger scale,
- Development of interconnections to manage peak load and other shortages.